Maersk Oil UK is part of the Maersk Oil Group, a top 30 independent global oil and gas company.
Turning marginal and challenging fields into commercial successes has been the cornerstone of Maersk Oil’s business since it began in 1962. We focus on pioneering technologies and harnessing talent to operate safely and successfully, creating value for partners and host governments.
• We were established in the UK in 2005 following the acquisition of Kerr McGee’s UK assets.
• We’re headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland with three producing assets in the Central North Sea.
• We employ around 1,000 people both on and offshore.
• We operate ten producing fields and hold non-operated interests in a further six.
• We hold around 50 North Sea exploration licences.
• We’re investing US$1billion in the North Sea in 2014.
• Janice FPU: Janice Alpha is located 156 miles south east of Aberdeen in UK Block 30/17a. The Janice development produces oil and gas from the Janice, James and Affleck fields.
• Gryphon FPSO: The Gryphon Alpha FPSO is located 175 miles north east of Aberdeen in UK block 9/18a and 9/18b. Gryphon Alpha processes oil and gas for the Gryphon, South Gryphon, Tullich and Maclure fields. It has undergone a major refit and upgrade following an incident in February 2011 when the vessel sustained damage in a severe storm. The subsequent reinstatement and reconnection of the risers, umbilicals and mid water arches was one of the largest subsea projects in the North Sea in 2011–2012.
• Global Producer III FPSO: GPIII is located 140 miles north east of Aberdeen in UK Block 15/20a and 15/20b, producing from the Dumbarton, Lochranza and Balloch fields.
We know that a strong safety performance validates our license to operate, and helps us protect our people, the environment and our assets. We promote a culture of incident-free operations, which we’re all responsible for delivering.
Driven by the need to develop a cost-effective solution to produce from the low permeability chalk reservoirs in the Danish North Sea, Maersk Oil became a pioneer in applying horizontal drilling techniques. From there we’ve continued to apply and pioneer the use of technology, leveraging the knowledge and experience of our colleagues based across the globe.
Our growth plans
• We’re involved in some of the biggest North Sea discoveries in recent years including the operated Culzean and non-operated Golden Eagle projects.
• We’re supporting Maersk Oil Group’s plan to achieve 2020 production of 400,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day by doubling our own production in the next five to seven years.
• Our producing assets continue to offer significant growth potential. The Balloch field came on stream three months after field development plan approval in 2013. We’re now working on a second Balloch well to come on stream in early 2015.
• The Culzean project is our largest development project to date. We anticipate that it could deliver around 5% of the UK’s 2020 total gas consumption. We’re working towards first gas in 2019.
• We’re an active explorer. We were awarded 12 licences in the 27th licence round with four firm well commitments. People Maersk Oil UK offers a powerful proposition to people who want to be at the forefront of the challenges and innovations of the oil and gas industry. We enjoy a culturally diverse and stimulating environment where we’re empowered and encouraged to contribute and make change.
Careers at Maersk Oil UK
To deliver our strategy we need to have the right teams in place to support our ambitions in the North Sea. If you want to take control of your career, with a wide range of technical and support opportunities across a range of disciplines, we want to talk to you. To find out more about Maersk Oil, and to become part of our success story, please visit our website.